Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Tale of Two Molesters

I woke this morning to the news that Roman Polanski has been arrested for statutory rape, a charge he fled the US from over 30 years ago. I expect over the next few days that many will rise to his defense. I have even heard (several years ago) that the victim would like the matter dropped.

I wonder how many of these rose to the defense of Don Kimball, who was also convicted of the same crime with a girl who was also 13 years old. Don Kimball made no movies, won no oscars, and had few (if any) international friends. No one defended him.

Don Kimball was a Catholic priest. I am not defending him. I condemn him. As I condemn Roman Polanski. Roman Polanski's victim should be awarded the same amount (if not more, given his means) as Don Kimball's victim.

But that will not happen, nor will this comparison be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment